Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Amazon embraces facebook

Amazon has recently decided to start allowing its users to buy gift cards online on their website and deliver them to their friend via facebook. Customers can post the gift cards to their friends wall, just like if they were sending them a gift off one of the current facebook apps using their facebook credits.



However, by giving out these Amazon gift cards, people can actually buy REAL tangible items!! Not virtual goods, but real ones! I'm sorry, I guess I'm a little cynical. It's hard for me to understand why people waste money on virtual gifts like pictures of a gifts as opposed to actually buying a gift. Regardless, Amazon's strategy is a great idea.

By going to their website you can select the delivery method of your gift card. Either: traditional mail, email, print it from your computer or the new method of a facebook post!

MP3 Downloads MP3 Holiday  MP3 Downloads (Musical notes)  Happy Halloween  Birthday Birds

In order to encourage facebookers to adopt it, Amazon is offering $5 gift cards to the first 100 people to send 5 of the MP3 themed gift cards to their facebook friends. It currently offers 11 different gift card designs. This will be a great option for those wanting to avoid the Christmas crowds, and for those last minute shoppers who forgot what month it was.

This is a great example of how companies (even online) are taking full advantage of the social networks and opportunities that lie within them. Overall I think this will be a huge success. I am already trying to decide who I will be sending them to for the Holidays! I mean what can't you buy on Amazon? Even the pickiest of shoppers can find something.

I know one of the reasons my mom doesn't buy online is because she doesn't want to input her credit card information. This is a great way for her to buy what she wants online, and Amazon is able to reach a whole new type of customer it was unable to before. Maybe they will even convince her online shopping is safe and she will be willing to submit her credit card info and make several more purchases on Amazon. I hope so. I'm tired of those itchy Christmas sweaters she gives me every year.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great idea that Amazon has. I like it because Amazon is a huge company who has been successful , but they are still humble enough to realize that in order to be successful they need to ride the facebook wave.

    ReplyDelete